Monday, June 05, 2006

Kitten Hell

I haven't written because sitting at the computer really hasn't been my focus in the past few days.

I am in my ninth month of pregnancy and things have been touch and go. We've completed our birthing refresher course and I am feeling more ready mentally and emotionally. And no, the nursery is not done yet. We'll get there. I am not worried or concerned about that... just yet.

The main thing weighing on my mind is kitten hell. Did I, Cat Mom to four, just say that?!?! Yes, yes I did. The kittens are becoming a nightmare.

Yesterday I woke up not feeling myself. In fact, I slept away the first half of the day. Then, I would have small sets of contractions, enough to practice blowing and groaning. In between these I would have short bursts of random energy. In one of these bursts I decided to clean out the kittens' cage and give them a bath. They have been super stinky without Mama Cat to clean them and because they haven't been "regular."

As I cleaned each kitten, I admired how cute each of the three is. They relished and languished in the attention, completely ignoring the fact they were being dunked in water and soaking wet. The enjoyed the intesive towel rubbing and for a moment, I flirted with the idea that perhaps they were meant to be mine after all.

I'm done flirting.

I walked in this morning to check on the three babies and they went NUTS. All three climbed up onto the carrier door and hung on for dear life. I had a fresh bowl of food and had to open the now weight-loaded door and shove the food in before plucking each one off the door and placing them at the back of the carrier so I could shut the door in time.

However, it was the moment I opened the door, I wanted to cry. Not cry in a good way, I wanted to cry because there was cat poo EVERYWHERE. Except the tiny box I crafted out of an infant sized shoe box lid I had. They don't seem to have the immediate instinct to use the nice stuff they can dig in. Now, I do have to give them a tiny break on this, because out of sheer terror, they have been holding their precious poo. Eating and eating and holding and holding. And it looks like they all exploded, finally. This is good because cat poo when held makes kitten stink to high heaven. Now they won't stink. But now they need their carrier scrubbed again and each needs a bath, again.

Perhaps that was the plan. Perhaps they WANT baths, being attention starved. Yeah, I like that spin. They love me so much and want my attention SO MUCH they created a Master Poo Plan. "This will force her to hold us more and love on us. Okay guys, on three let the poo flow!"

No, it just makes me more desperate to find a home for these buggers. Or take them to a shelter with a euthanization policy. *shudders* I am trying to maintain GOOD cat karma by performing this rescue. I didn't want them run over or eaten by the coyotes. I certainly don't want to see them put asleep when we all worked so hard to keep them comfortable and alive. *sighs*

With a little time and patience I think they'll work it out. I just don't think I have the time or patience.

Please pray the Feral Friends adoption coordinator will email me tonight with good news... I certainly am.

No comments: