Monday, November 13, 2006

Because One Syllable Words are Boring

My lovely Kindergartener son pointed out to me today that he, his sister and all four cats have 3 syllable names. I hadn't really thought about it before, but apprarently my husband and I have a penchant for longer names. Perhaps we subconsciously find our one syllable names boring. I guess G can add that to his therapy list: "My mom expected me to do more in life BECAUSE SHE GAVE ME A THREE SYLLABLE NAME AND THAT'S ALOT FOR ANY CHILD TO HANDLE."

There is a one syllable nickname we could call him but:
1) We chose his name to name him after my favorite singer. If we called G by the nickname, it would go against the spirit of the chosing.
2) G doesn't like the short version of his name. He will only let a handful of people call him that. (Namely one of his best friends, The Other G, and family.) I understand this. I hated it when people added a "y" to my name when I was growing up. It wasn't my name! I have only let a handful of people get away with it too. My one syllable status is fine.

I find it interesting on the day G discovers syllables, he's decided to shorten NJ's name to the natural one syllable version. We all have different nicknames for her, and perhaps one day we'll iron that one out. (or she can start her own therapy list: "People never knew what to call me... it was so confusing!")

Well, whatever her name is, she's yelling...

No comments: