Friday, November 03, 2006

A Tasty Dish of Rice

No, this isn't a recipe. Not for food anyhow. Call it a recipe for the soul.

I just found out that Damien Rice is releasing his next album entitled "9." WHEEE!!!! I love me some Damien, so much so I would consider naming my next child after him. (Don't laugh people, G is named after my FIRST favorite male singer on the planet.)

And no, NJ is NOT named after a favorite actress, or singer for that matter. I simple liked the name. If I named NJ after my favorite female singer, that would be Myra. Myra didn't work for me. Neither did the singers "other name," you know, the one she's known by?

Not being all that transparent am I? Back to the dish... Damien.

Damien.
Damien.
Damien.

If you haven't heard his music, I would say it is a crime against humanity. (Okay, so it's NOT, but still.) You can hustle your butt over to www.myspace.com/damienrice and hear three tracks from the new album. Now, most of you might listen to this and say "Um, ~L, that's *DEPRESSING*" and yes, Damien can be. Think of it more as deliciously, delicately haunting. His music isn't for a listener, it is for those who love to EXPERIENCE music. The songs are wholisitic. The lyrics a bit obscure, and the notes are pure genius. And Lisa Hannigan's voice... wow, just wow.

If you haven't heard "O," the previous album, it's amazing. It's a toss-up as to my favorite track. If forced to pick, it would probably be "Delicate." "Delicate" has been used as ambient music on several TV programs, including my beloved "Lost." His song, "The Blower's Daughter" was prominiently featured in the movie "Closer" and if you see the movie, you'll never forget the song. "Volcano" and "Cannonball" are also favorites of mine.

The first release off of "9" is titled "9 Crimes." Damien admits that the new album feels like an extension of the old, but that's perfectly okay with me. His music is like a cozy woobie on a chilly evening. Just wrap yourself up and enjoy.

1 comment:

Just Jackie said...

Never heard of him. Went to myspace for a listen and LOVE the music!! I would love to hear more if you're willing to share. I remember that I need to give you Big Thing. Maybe we can work a trade?