Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Giving Thanks

I've tried to write since my last entry, but the words just won't flow. But I need to write this, because things haven't been all that great lately in many aspects of my life. It is truly time to give some thanks. To reflect. To surrender.

Firstly, I am thankful to my mom for fighting cancer for twenty years. She passed away a year ago on the 15th of this month. Mom went to great lengths to say here in this life and reap much of what she sowed. She saw her daughters graduate school, get married, have grandchildren... so much more. I am thankful for her determination and sheer commitment to living. And, as strange as this may sound, I am thankful for that cancer. Cancer changed the course of my family's lives, much for better for all of us. My mom and I even discussed this in those last days.

Next, I am thankful for my husband. We've been through alot these past couple of years and he's never waivered in his love and devotion. And he's given me two great children, whom I am also thankful for. You three are my everything. I love you so much!

I am thankful for my other family. Those that I am related to: my Dad and my sister. Family is important to me. We've been able to help each other through this year in both subtle and overt ways. My aunts have been wonderful too, and it has been so nice to be more in touch. I am thankful for my sister's husband who has been there for her and her two beautiful daughters. I am thankful for my sister-in-law who is one of my soulmates in this life. I am lucky to have found such a true family with my in-laws.

I am thankful for my other other family. Those who I choose as family because, even though I love my friends, they aren't just friends. My life is what it is because those friends are there. There are friends who I have had since childhood, one of them halfway around the world. Friends who I have lived with, studied with, shared stories with and grew up with in many, many ways. Friends who I have met in work, and in play. Friends I have met once or twice but know because of this venue and friends I have never met. You're in my life, all of you friends, because I fell in love with who you are. I think the world of you.

Lastly, I am thankful for me. That's tough to remember, at times. But I am. I am thankful for this life and this experience and, even on the worst days, I wouldn't trade it. This life is a gift. I am blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for the strawberries you left in my fridge ;)

Gwynnethe said...

And G would be thankful if you left them alone.

Just Jackie said...

You are blessed -- and a blessing! Thanks for being you!