Tuesday, December 12, 2006

If I Did It

I was watching Miani Ink tonight and find myself still mesmerized by Kat Von D's work. She's so amazing. I thought I had finally decided what tattoo I would get if I ever got brave enough to get it. I would get something I could look at every day for the rest of my life. Something for my Mom. Something relfecting the child in me. The evolution of me into the person I am today. Something very distinctly me.

The Muppets.

Huh?

I was crushed the day Jim Henson died. If ever there was a person who lived a dream, it was Jim Henson. He created something. He had imagination. Lasting impact. A Universal language for children from all over the world. And all over Time.

My Mom said I would watch Sesame Street twice a day, soaking in every skit. I learned to read anything at the tender age of four watching that show. Thirty years later my son would be sucked into that program too.

Sesame Street and later, The Muppet Show (the adult Sesame Street) blurred my lines between reality and imagination and there I still live. I want to believe in talking frogs and neighborhoods that sing and dance together. I want to believe that someday we'll find it, the Rainbow Connection: the lovers, the dreamers and me. Magic. (Have you been half asleep? And have you heard voices? I've heard them calling my name...) And I didn't even have to look that up, folks!

So, I was thinking, a portraiture like Mount Rushmore only: Kermit, Miss Piggy, Animal and Gonzo. (I am still debating Fozzie, I mean he so grinds on my nerves. Love him anyway, don't you?) I want it black and grey and realistic. As realistic as Muppets GET anyhow.

Kermit is the most sensible one, with the most level head. He tries to make it all right. He plays the banjo and sings about his feelings. He sings about how it ain't easy, being us. As knowledgeable as he seems, we know he's still naive in many ways. He makes us want to believe in magic. And doggone it, we *like* him.

Miss Piggy is tough. I mean, it's hard to be a blonde pig. So she's tough. She's ready to march in and take over. Everything is about her. A pig has to stand her ground! She's prissy, over-bearing and WAY overdramatic. Still, she loves with abandon, and despite her short(rib)comings, we find ourselves mesmerized by her. She will be loved, oh yes. (And, we do! We worship the ground she walks on.)

Animal is just that. A character out of control. He's passionate, focused, obsessive. He wears chains for pleasure. He loves music. He's there when you need him.

Gonzo. Gonzo is one of my favorite Muppets. He's so out of place. Not sure who he is, or why he's here. He never quite fits in with the crowd. He has all these chick(en)s who flock to him. The chickens are the ones he can relate to the most. He's gentle, kind and awkwardly charming. Gonzo doesn't know who or why, but he's still willing to take the journey. Willing to reach out and help a friend in need. And in the end, helps himself in the process.

Yeah. That's all me. My insecurities and my loves all wrapped up in one of the greatest metaphors I know. The Muppets.

God bless you, Jim Henson. Thank you.

(Now where on earth do you put a tattoo like that????)

2 comments:

Just Jackie said...

Wow. I think I missed a few things watching the Muppets. Cute blog.

One Mother with Cancer said...

I watch Miami Ink last night, her portraits are amazing!!! My daughter wants me to take her there for her 18th birthday for her first tatoo. My husband said if I take her, then I will have to take him too... Because it's not fair!! Does that sound like a 33 year old man to you? Wait never mind it does...