Tuesday, August 08, 2006

An Earful

Last night was the first night that NJ slept in the co-sleeper next to the bed. I wasn't ready to see her go, I like her warm little body snuggled next to mine. Still, M insisted that it was time. He's been missing the nightly pre-sleep cuddle. It's like a ritual with us, I lay my head on his shoulder and we snuggle in together. Admittedly I missed the snuggle time too, but I firmly believe that the reason NJ has slept through the night since day one is because she sleeps between us. Babies model what they see: big people sleep, I sleep. Besides, *if* she wakes, then I just stick The Boob in her mouth and doze off again. It's good for both of us. Or was.

The unfortunate outcome of NJ sleeping with us is that I don't move during the night. I have to lay still. I don't lay still when I sleep. I have to move. It's the fibromyalgia, if I stay in the same position for a time, my muscles rebel. They will lock themselves up and then I pay with pain the next day. And boy, have I been paying.

The past two weeks have been murder on my hips and legs. I feel like an old lady, popping and creaking while hobbling down the hall. We spent this past weekend in Houston with family friends and their two story house. Thank God we don't have a two story house. It was much more apparent during our visit what an invalid I have become. I figure when I see the neurologist next week, he will direct me back to physical therapy. Woo woo!

On another note, NJ got her tape and glue removed from her left ear today. When NJ was born, she had a "constricted ear." It wasn't prominent but M and I felt that if we could do something about it now, especially something non-surgical, we would. We found a local craniofacial surgeon who performs ear molds which involves tape, superglue and clay to retrain the cartilage in the ear to grow properly. The procedure should be performed in the first week of life. NJ got her ears done on day 8 after birth. She wore the tape, etc. for six weeks total with a dressing change at two week intervals. As I said, today was the big reveal and her ear looks great! I am so glad we tried this route and *hope* we don't have any future surgery!

1 comment:

Ab-stractions said...

kinda hard to have sex with a baby in the bed ;)

(or 4 cats)