Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Uniformity

I registered G for kindergarten in pubilc school today. I have mixed feelings about this. At the heart, I believe we should provide outstanding education to everyone and therefore, should support our public schools. Yet... so many school districts are weak and neglected. We don't pay our teachers enough and we expect so much. How can they foster each child's intelligence when the classes are packed with 20+ kids? How can they provide extra attention to the children who need more than the average curriculum?

In our area, private school is often the answer for those who can. And, I hate to say, if I could, I would. We just can't right now. So we're trying public school out for a year.

I am trying to be determined not to hate it. Unfortunately even the simplest aspects of this process annoy me to no end. My initial beef: uniforms.

Now, don't get me wrong. I see both sides of the arguement here. The schools say it's a safety issue. The kids can't wear gang colors (oh, that's refreshing.) Uniforms make school an even playing field. The kids dress the same, LOOK the same and will therefore be treated the same. They won't make fun of each other in this brand-driven society. I agree with all this in prinicple. Trust me, I do. I was the kid who was made fun of for what I wore. I didn't wear the brand jeans. (4th grade) It was a devestating blow to my self-esteem. And, if I played Freud to myself, it probably accounts for much of who I am today.

So, yes, taking the "us and them" factor out of the kids' wardrobes is probably a good thing.

But

I am loathing having to purchase all navy bottoms and white shirts. How mundane. Uncreative. Boring. Uninspiring. Stupid.

I don't want my kid to be on an even playing field. I want G to be G. I want him to be recognized for who he is. I want him to express himself. If he wants to wear green, dammit, I want him to wear green! I don't want him to look like, feel like everyone else. (it's not easy being green.) This isn't about labels, it's about expression, creativity.

I was at least a little relieved (as was G) to learn at registration that the kids can wear any kind of athletic shoe they want to as long as it's not obscene. (ever seen an obscene shoe?) I had bought G a pair of all black athletic shoes thinking if they were anal about the clothing, surely shoes would be limited. Instead we took them back and bought cool new Sketchers. G was thrilled to get them. So was I... finally a method of expression! And this got me thinking. Perhaps I will get him a whole wardrobe of cool shoes. (I'm totally thinking like a woman here, and I am sure he could care less.) In fact, not just cool shoes... OUTRAGEOUS shoes. Shoes that are guaranteed to be individualistic and noticable.

Shoes like this or this or this or perhaps even this .

You know, *something* that makes a statement. (Taste not withstanding.) :-P

Power to the people! Down with the average tennis shoe! Freedom of shoe expression!

3 comments:

Ab-stractions said...

please don't. those are ugly!

Just Jackie said...

I love you! While I am in total agreement with the school policy requiring uniforms, an alternate (with caution) ways of expressing oneself, I totally respect your point of view and LOVE the SHOES! I am especially fond of the fire shoes. You and I feel the same about PubS vs. PrivS. I blogged about a similar issue last night too! :)

Just Jackie said...

Okay - Post #2 (not referenceing poo).

I just read that YOU read MY blog and commented! LOL -- great minds think alike!

We are staying close. And I appreciate - and would considere - the offer to homeschool My Eldest. Lucky for us, Kinder is required in our state. :) Most importantly, I treasure our friendship and do not foresee that dissolving at all. YAY!