Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Many Loves

Okay, okay. So the REAL question lurking behind the previous post is this: What do I want to do with my life? aka "What do I want to be when I grow up?" There are many avenues I have considered in my life, but none that have absolutely captivated me.

Here are/were some of the contenders, then perhaps you will see my conundrum:
* Film Director (my original college major)
* Actress
* Teacher (11th grade honours, I have my English degree. You don't step into an honours program though and I wanted to have enough patience in life to have my own kids)
* Lawyer
* Gemologist
* Interior Designer
* Interpreter for the FBI
* Profiler for the FBI
* Anything for the FBI
* Forensic Crime Scene Investigator/Analyst
* Law Researcher (something I have done)
* Information Broker/Researcher (I can find anything or anyone you need)
* Chef
* Hair Dresser
* Realtor
* Advertising Executive (took one college class, got frustrated)
* Trade Show Manager
* Gift Basket Entrepreneur
* Writer/Author/Poet
* Wife (I am one!)
* Mother (something I achieved, twice!)
* Internet guru
* Programmer
* Website designer/programmer
* Jockey
* Personal Assistant to someone important
* Entrepreneur who flips houses
* PowerPoint presentation designer (something I have done)
* Yoga Instructor
* "White hat" hacker
* Spa Owner
* Personal Shopper/Stylist
* Professional Singing Artist/Musician (I don't have the talent, sadly)
* eBay Entrepreneur
* Law Librarian
* Wedding Coordinator
* Health Informatics Librarian
* Motivational Speaker
* Therapist/Psychologist
* Personal Trainer/Physical Therapist
* Furniture Refinisher
* Location Scout (for film)
* Bread-and-Breakfast Owner/Manager
* Life Coach
* Professional Student
* Event Planner
* TV Script Writer
* Buyer for department stores
* Restaurant owner
* Inventor/innovator
* Photographer
* Semi-celeb blogger
* Mythbuster
* Forensic Accountant

I am sure the list could go on. Some of these take money, which I don't have and have no clue how to find (venture capital). Some of these take training I don't have, which could be easily remedied, if I would just choose it. Some of these take connections I don't have, which is why I shied away from the film industry.

So what now? I still don't know, but I am still in the inquiry.

Perhaps those varied interests WOULD make for an excellent blog contributor as Kay and Janine and I have discussed as of late. Starting something like the type of blog we are discussing is scary... EXCITING but SCARY. I am so afraid of failure, of letting people down. Yet, it could be a success. A HUGE success. And it would give me what I want. I could research, write and make money. I could enrich lives and do something of value.

All I have to do is make a choice. Why does it seem so hard?!?!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am singing the VC blues.My best hope at this point is to save
money and by the eqiupment i need & start piece by piece.

Ab-stractions said...

I don't know what I want to do either. I just know that the grass is always greener at the job I'm not doing at the moment. I have decided though, that I hate being in accounting.