Monday, August 28, 2006

Kicking It Up A Notch

I enrolled G into a self-defense/martial arts class today. He went to the dojo and received his uniform and tried out day #1 of class.

It took forever to get to the "try it out" part. The teacher offered to have G start class or just watch. I repeated the question to G as I squatted down to his level so we could look eye to eye. But after asking, his eyes just darted around the room and "I don't know" was all he could manage to say. I said "It's just a decision G, not right or wrong, just a decision." He just couldn't decide. It was Monday, after school and after apparently not enough sleep.

The teacher suggested we get G changed into his new cool uniform and have him join the class. We raced over to the changing area and swapped the school uniform for the martial arts uniform.

G anxiously joined the class, but with a very huge grin on his face. His shyness came out full force, but his excitement lead him on. He watched and tried and at the end of the class, "earned" his white belt.

After class, G came rushing up to me. "When can I get a GOLD belt?" he asked breathlessly. "With practice" I told him. I wanted to tell him he had to be patient, to take things one step at a time (baby steps) and that someday he could be really good at this. Instead I simply hugged him. He'll learn. He'll learn.

1 comment:

Ab-stractions said...

aww how cute