Friday, April 21, 2006

Demando Boy

The Demando Cat story was actually brought up yesterday when my husband used the phrase "Demando Boy" to describe G's behavior. G is about to turn five years old. I remember from my days of teaching preschool what this means to someone at that stage of life. It seems that around this time, the world gets much much bigger and you realize they aren't really the Center of the Universe after all. This is a very disconcerting place to be. It's not all about you anymore, and you had better figure out your place in it. The resulting behavior is ignoring your parents and trying to boss everyone around. It's trying to retain an illusion of still being the Center of the Universe and of feeling important (Some people tend to get stuck at this stage and never leave. I should know, I dated some of them back in the day.)

G has recently become more concerned about when M gets home from work each day. I usually call and ask, so I know when he's scheduled to arrive. Apparently I have set a bad precedent.

After school on the way to swim lessons, G asks when M will be home. I told him that Daddy would probably leave the office when we were headed home from swim lessons. This got him through swim lessons. On the way home, G wanted some assurances.

G: "When is Dad coming home?"
Me: "He said he was leaving at 5, and it's past 5 so he's probably on his way."
G: "Did you call him to make sure he left?"
Me: "No, but I am sure he will be on his way."
G: "Call and make sure."
Me: *Sighs and dials M* "YOU can talk to your Dad."
*M answers phone*
Me: "Your son wants to talk to you." *hands phone to G*

G: "Have you left yet?"
*listens intently*
G: "When will you be home?"
*listens intently*
G: "Okay, see you at home soon, Dad. Love you too."
*hands phone back to me*

Me: "I tried to tell him."
M: "He's such a Demando Boy."
Me: "I know. Don't know where he gets that from..."

1 comment:

Ab-stractions said...

I know where he gets it from...