Saturday, April 08, 2006

Recipe for Goodness

Any time I make this casserole, I get asked for this recipe. So I decided to put it on my blog because it is super easy and super yummy to boot. Don't ask for the nutritional information, because it would be a pretty dismal picture and I don't have the exact information because I have made alterations from the original recipe. Upon request, I can give you the nutritional info for the original recipe.

General warning: This recipe is not for the lactose intolerant (unless you pop serious Lactaid-type pills, which M and I do) and not for the vegetarian. I suspect when G is ready to try this casserole, he might actually transfer to the "dark side" with the rest of his family. This dish can be as spicy as you want, although I wouldn't recommend going whole hog mild because you will lose much of the flavor. Using at least some "hot" labeled sauce won't send you to the trough for tons of water.

Second general warning: I usually don't cook with recipes unless I am in unfamiliar territory. Most of the time I am a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of cook and hope for the best in the end.

Here's my version of Chicken Tortilla Casserole:

sauce:
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 7 oz. can Verde Salsa (tomatillo based) - I try to use the Hernandez brand in the Mexican food area, which most often is found in Medium or Hot
1/3 cup of milk
meat:
1 package of chicken breasts (2-4 breasts)
other:
Corn tortillas (around 6-8, depending on your size of pan)
1 package grated cheese, I like to use either a Mexican cheese mix or Jack/Cheddar mix
1 can chopped green chilles (optional in my book, essential in M's)

I usually use an 8X8 or 9X9 square pan. This also makes a nice 9X12, although you may want to double your sauce recipe.

Cook chicken. I usually boil it to keep it tender, although it can be baked or probably even grilled (I need to try that!) I am not an exacting person when it comes to this, I throw a pan of water on to boil and then keep checking the chicken until it's white and thoroughly cooked. Once cooked, shred or cut into bite sized pieces.

Mix the sauce together with a whisk. Set aside.

Cut corn tortillas into fourths. Get your pan and begin to layer: tortillas (until bottom is covered), add chicken, pour about half the sauce over the chicken and tortillas and top with cheese. Repeat layers: tortillas, chicken, sauce, *(chopped green chilles, if desired) and finally all the cheese you can stand.

Cook at 300 degrees for an hour or unless cheese is melted and bubbling. Essentially the lower heat and longer time are to heat the entire dish without drying out the already cooked chicken.

The last time I made this dish was for Chloe's mom, Janine in celebration of their new baby girl. I used half tomatillo sauce labeled "hot" and half Green Taco Sauce labeled "mild" because I couldn't find a happy "medium. " :-P

Hope you enjoy!

No comments: