Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Circle Comes Round

Dear Mom,

The baby birds are back on your front porch. Dad hadn't mentioned them, and I was pleasantly surprised to see them back. I am not sure it's the same Momma Bird by looking at her, but surely it is. At least, it's that same type of bird. Momma Bird watched me carefully but rather smugly I thought. She feels safe up there with her babies. I am glad.

I remember watching them intently last year with you. We counted the three little heads and watched Momma come and go, foraging for food for those precious babies. I continued to report when you couldn't see them anymore. I know you held a special place for them, those creatures of nature. I watched them intently because I had the feeling that when those babies flew away, you would too.

Those babies left first and then you eventually left to join them.

I took seeing the new family of birds as a sign. A sign you never really left, that the nest is still home even when the birds are gone. They came back to that safe place to nuture Life. You'll be here when my new baby arrives in the next few weeks.

Amazing. There is a sunshower. You've heard me. I could go on, but I think that's enough for now. It was such a gift how much we understood each other.

I love you and miss you, Mom.

~L

No comments: