Monday, March 13, 2006

Girls vs. Boys

I am starting to get a clearer picture of the difference between having girl children and boy children. I know, intellectually and from personal experience, that males and females operate on different planes. I know that this girl child I am expecting in June will be worlds apart from my almost five year old geeky boy. Still, there are moments in life when these things become so crystal....

So today I met up with one of the moms from G's school. She has a son we'll call Marcus. I like his mom, Kay, quite a bit, she's funny and fun to be with. Marcus and G get along exceptionally well, two peas in a pod. They are both pretty brainy kids who like to know stuff. I appreciate and encourage their friendship. I joked with Kay that I'd like Marcus to be dormmates with G at MIT. (I am *almost* serious about that too!) Well, after today's shenanigans, that might be a scary thought. I mean, knowing these two, they'd be blowing up stuff together in that dormroom.

Yet I digress...

So, Kay and I also retrieve a mutual friend's girl, Chloe, from school too. Our fellow mom friend just had a beautiful new baby this past weekend. Kay and I thought we'd take the kids out to play together and chat a bit. We loaded up kids in respective cars and agreed to meet at a fast food chain restaurant with a playscape.

Once there, the kids were raring to go play. Kay and I sent them off and proceeded to talk shop. (Turns out we do some of the same work.) Shortly, the one thing I was a little wary of happened. Chloe got bored with all that testosterone and was feeling a little left out. Kay and I each talked to the boys and tried to make sure she was included. Marcus and Chloe are really great friends, when it's the two of them. With G in the mix...

Now, G is not totally a boy's boy; if a group got physical, he'd back off. He is a bit too sensitive for true rough and tumble stuff. At the same time, he isn't very accustomed to playing with girls generally. Most of my friends seemed to end up with boys. End story: when it came to Marcus and Chloe, Marcus is more on his radar.

So Chloe spend some time with Kay and I. I love little girls and can't wait to have my own. It was a joy to interact with Chloe for a bit. We soon realized the kids were running out of steam. We got the gear packed and started to head out. Kay asked Marcus if he needed to run to the restroom. Of course, G wanted to go too. (And men think we women have to go in bunches.) So, we let the boys go off by themselves, with the restroom door in plain sight.

This is the first time I had let G go to the restroom without immediate adult supervision. I am a super-paranoid mom that way I guess. Yet, Kay and I were standing right there, and G WAS going in WITH Marcus. Indeed, it seemed a safe decision...

Kay goes to get a refill and I keep one eyeball planted firmly on the restroom door.

Chloe: "Look at me! See how I can spin?!?" Chloe whirls around in place, large grin on her face.
Me: *Starts to daydream about how having a girl will be SO much fun*

Reality: Restroom doors bangs open. Two boys come tumbling out.

The boys come to a dead stop in front of me. Wide eyed, smirking, long faced with that sparkle to their eyes. Any parent knows this look. It's the look of trouble.

Me: *raises an eyebrow in good mom fashion*
Marcus: *cracks under pressure* "So, we went potty TOGETHER."
Me: "Really, not surprising" (G has always been a natural advocate of the "group pee.")

[Crystal moment forming.]

Me: *thinks* Girls don't get to do that...
Marcus: "And then.." *his blue eyes get wider*
G: *giggles*
Marcus: "We locked the door and crawled out underneath the door so now one else can get in."

Marcus and G dissolve into high pitched fit of giggles.

I look over at Kay. She raises an eyebrow at me.

Me: *Across the restaurant* "They are definitely boys."
Kay: *Puzzled and approaching*

Me: "And... did you leave the door that way?"
Marcus and G: *Wide eyed and silent*
Me: *points to the restroom* "Go fix it."
Kay: "Now what did they do?"
Me: Repeats story.
Kay: *to the boys, smirking* "And did you fix it?"

The boys scuttle off to the restroom to fix problem.

And there is lovely, spinning Chloe. Sweet innocent Chloe. God bless the girl child.

*Crystal moment arrives* My life will never be the same having one of each sex. They are SO different. I will forever be on my toes. :-) Gotta love this life we're in.

So, Kay, I know you read this, can we agree to hide the chemistry kits on overnights? There's no telling what they might do.... *shudders at the thought* OR if chemistry sets are necessary, my hubby M and Peter can oversee the volcanoes and such. Kay and I will go see a chick flick and drink good coffee to boot. Cell phones will be available so we need to meet you at the ER later.

No comments: