Sunday, March 19, 2006

Navigating the Waters

It was still raining buckets when I got up near noon yesterday. (Yes, I do feel better.) Never underestimate the power of a good night's sleep. I wouldn't bitch quite so much if it weren't such an alusive thing for me and if it didn't result is physical pain. Everyone has their hot buttons, sleep is just one of mine.

Since I was feeling better, we decided to head to our gym for a little relaxing swim and soak in the hot tub. I almost always feel better when I get in the water for awhile. Fortunately G loves it too. However, if you were in Dallas yesterday as most of you were, you'd realize the problem with this decision. (Note sentence above: "It was raining buckets...") The drive was harrowing and although I have seen the dam at White Rock Lake and know that it has flooded over there, it didn't occur to me that closer to downtown is even more infamous for flooding.

So here we are, near downtown Dallas, after days of rain. As we tried leaving the gym after our fun, we realized the fire department was shutting down streets left and right and usually just as we were heading that direction. It took us several tries before we found streets high enough through neighborhoods to get back home. Above all this, my SIL called with an SOS. She and her fiance had gotten stuck and her car flooded out. I had to tell her that we weren't in a position to come rescue as we normally would.

The story ends with all of us getting home safely and only one soppy car to show for it. (Good thing we took the SUV, otherwise we'd have two soppy cars in the family!)

No comments: