Thursday, March 23, 2006

Something So Right

Sleeping through the night is such a gift. I am up early this morning, reason unknown. I figured I would let my dear hubby sleep with my "trying to get comfortable" disturbance.

Many things have happened in the past few days, and I guess I am still processing it all. Nothing too significant actually, but I am noticing my reaction to quite a bit of it: negative. I can't seem to get out of this negative funk. And... the longer I stay here, the more things happen that aren't right. Abs, my SIL, and I (teasingly) discussed how something is off in the Universe, like Mercury in retrograde or some such oddness. I don't know.

"When something goes wrong
I'm the first to admit it
I'm the first to admit it
And the last one to know

When something goes right
Well it's likely to lose me, mm
It's apt to confuse me
It's such an unusual sight
Oh, I can't, I can't get used to something so right
Something so right."

~Paul Simon
(and beautifully sung by Annie Lennox)

Why is it so easy for human beings to jump on the negative wagon? Moreover, why do we question the times that go "so right" as if we don't deserve them? Funny creatures we are.

Now, I do recognize that not all people operate this way, but so many do.

I am gonna shift the tables here and now. I am gonna talk about a few of the right things in my life and "we'll jump and we'll see." (Joe vs. the Volcano reference.)

I have been thinking about an entry to this blog in celebration of my friends, and especially my women friends. Talk about something so right! I married the perfect partner for me. He's so kind and thoughtful and patient and just generally wonderful. (I love you M!) There is also my best friend, my male best friend, who I thought I wanted to marry... or at least give a deeper relationship a thought. It is no accident we didn't go there in the end. Having a close kindred relationship suits us just fine, despite the distance.

And then, there are my girls. All of them. I could spend the next few hours writing an ode or love song to the women in my life. They come from so many different places in my life, from different stages of my life. My sister, who shares with me the blood bond. I adore her. We can't seem to bridge many "sins of the past" but it doesn't change how I feel about her. And, there's my other sister, my non-blood related sister. She's part of the family I married into, but more like the sister I need than the sister-in-law that she is.

Going back in time, I have the recently refound best friend from high school. We are sharing an exploring and it will take time to relearn each other's terrain. I am glad she's back, she has always been special to me. I have my college girls, my homegirls, who mostly live here in the Dallas area. They are now fellow moms and great sounding boards for anything and everything. They are a part of that crew that I know if I needed to "call to the mat," they'd be there. They were there, when my mother passed. In force, protective and loving.

There are friends from Austin, who I don't usually see anymore. I keep in touch with only one. A lone soul who knows me well, and I know her well. She's older than I, a sort of mentor in life. We rarely talk, but I know if I truly needed her, she'd be there. Just as I am here for her. As for the other Austin crew, they have faded from my life. Some to great disappointment, some to great sadness and a few, well, it was just time to move on with our lives. We gave each other special gifts and sometimes that is the point in knowing someone.

Then there are new found friends here, Dallas the second time around. I have met other Kindred spirits, friends of friends, online friends, work friends. People I enjoy thoroughly. People I love having in my life. At the end, there is my latest group: other mom friends. This is a trend I am sure will continue as G gets bigger and travels through his school life. I am amazed to find such awesome women along the way. People I really enjoy with the added bonus of having amazing kids to befriend my amazing kid. Talk about win-win situations!

Writing all this, I just feel so blessed to have so many people in my life with whom I get to share. I just need to keep this in mind for the days that look a little glum, a little lonely. I am rich in friendships. I have amazing, wonderful friends. I couldn't be more blessed!

I did forget to mention someone. My mother. Although she's gone, she's one of my best friends in this life. We shared so much beyond mother/daughter. Words will never express my love and gratitude for having you in my life. I love you Mom.

I will take all this into the day with me and I hope it causes my world to shift. (and everyone in it!)

I love you all!

2 comments:

Ab-stractions said...

*warm fuzzies*

Kelli Campbell said...

it's the weather too - how can it be so cold

so it is a good idea to think warm thoughts